Get fast and accurate results with GI infection testing from Chabado Genomics.
Infectious gastroenteritis and their accompanying diarrheal disease remain a major cause of morbidity and mortality across the globe. Despite advancements in diagnostics and treatment, 2.5 million children are lost to these diseases annually around the world. Furthermore, the following occur annually in the United States from 73 million food borne diseases:
- 128,000 million hospitalizations
- 3,000 deaths
The right test, accurately administered and reported, can be the difference in a patient’s well-being. The gastrointestinal (GI) panel allows for testing of up to 22 gastrointestinal pathogens. This comprehensive reach eliminates the need for extra testing for individual pathogens. Some of the pathogens tested for under the gastrointestinal panel include bacteria, parasites, and viruses. Contact us today to learn more.
Gastrointestinal Panel Summary
This is a test conducted on stool samples to detect up to 22 gastrointestinal pathogens responsible for or associated with gastroenteritis. These pathogens cause infectious diarrhea, among other symptoms. It allows for quick and accurate identification of pathogens, ensuring appropriate treatment and patient care thereby alleviating patient suffering or even death.
Pathogens Tested for by the Gastrointestinal Panel Test
The following are the viruses identifiable by this test:
- Sapovirus (I, II, IV & V)
- Adenovirus F40/41
- Norovirus GI/GII
- Rotavirus A
Bacteria diagnosed by this test include:
- Vibrio cholerae
- Clostridium difficile (toxin A/B)
- Campylobacter (upsaliensis, coli and jejuni)
- Plesiomonas shigelloides
- Vibrio (vulnificus and cholera and parahaemolyticus)
- Yersinia enterocolitica
The test also identifies the following four parasites:
- Entamoeba histolytica
- Giardia lamblia
- Cyclospora cayetanensis
The following Escherichia Coli diarrheagenic or shigella pathogens also fall under this test:
- STEC –(Shiga-like toxin-producing Escherichia coli) stx1/stx2
- Escherichia coli O157
- Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli (EAEC)
- Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) lt/st
- Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli (EPEC)
- Enteroinvasive Escherichia coli (EIEC) or Shigella
Advantages of Gastrointestinal Panel Testing
The GI Panel testing offers the following advantages.
- It is simple to administer, requiring an average of two minutes of hands-on time
- It offers a fast turnaround time by taking a maximum of one hour for results to be available. This allows clinicians to take fast action regarding vital decisions such as admission, seclusion, antibiotic or antiviral therapy and additional diagnostic testing
- It is easy to set up and administer, as it does not require precise measurements and pipetting
- It is comprehensive in coverage by diagnosing a possible 22 gastrointestinal infection pathogens
- Improved stewardship of antibiotics during treatment
- Reduced costs of testing
Gastrointestinal (GI) panel testing from Chabado Genomics is cutting edge in the use of technology in combating gastrointestinal infections. Fast and simple to use, the panel allows for prompt and accurate pathogen identification and treatment. These time savings are crucial for timely medical interventions central to effectively combating these infectious and deadly diseases. The timely diagnostics also allow for identification of related conditions and for any additional testing that may be required.